ACC03043 – Corporate Governance
Assessment 2 – Case Study – Board architecture at Arcelor Mittal
DUE DATE: Monday, Week 10, 11:00 PM
WORD LIMIT: 2000 words (excl. references)
Please write your word count on the front page!
All students are required to submit this assessment via the ACC03043 SCU Blackboard learning site. Hard copy and email submissions will not be accepted and late submission penalties will apply to assignments that are not submitted on time via the specified Blackboard site.
The following questions are all based on the Financials Times article ‘Governance may impede Mittal’s pursuit of Arcelor’ and the case study information below.
Case Study: Board architecture at Arcelor Mittal
The merger of steel makers Arcelor and Mittal in 2006 produced the world’s largest steel company, with 330,000 employees and forecast earnings of $15.6 billion. Arcelor had fought a long defensive battle against the hostile takeover, valued at around $35 billion. Arcelor was incorporated in Luxembourg and had adopted European governance architecture, with a supervisory board, including employee representatives, and a management board.
Mittal was a family company with a tradition of growth through acquisition, in which the founding family still played the dominant role. Arcelor had criticised Mittal for its inadequate controls, because it had many Mittal family members and few independent directors on its board.
In the merged Arcelor Mittal company, the Mittal family retained 43.5% of the voting equity. The new board was 18 strong, with chairman Joseph Kinsch, who was previously chairman of Arcelor, president Lakshmi Mittal, nine independent directors, plus employee representative directors and nominee directors to reflect the interests of significant shareholders.
The General Management Board was chaired by the CEO Roland Junck, with the son of Lakshmi Mittal, Aditya Mittal as CFO.
1. Assess the post-merger board structure and discuss the pros and cons before reading the Financial Times article. (10 marks)
2. Since the Mittal family retain 43.5% of the voting equity can an institutional investor make a significant contribution to the governance of the company? (10 marks)
3. Please read the Financial Times article under ‘Assessment Tasks and Submission’. Discuss the positive and negative impacts on the effectiveness of the (pre-merger) Mittal Steel board after reading the article and compare its effectiveness with the post-merger board. (10 marks)
Marks will also be awarded for the academic rigour of the paper (10 marks).
• Please answer the three questions individually (i.e. one by one), observing Harvard referencing style and a clear and logical structure, along with the ability to express yourself clearly and succinctly.
• Your arguments have to be based on concepts and tools discussed in the topics of this unit and must be supported through direct reference to (academic) literature (recent peer-reviewed journals preferred). The report will be assessed based on your ability to develop arguments supported by relevant and valid sources (please also refer to marking criteria). You are expected to use at least 5 academic sources (excluding the textbook) to support your viewpoints. All sources must be properly referenced.
• In addition to the academic references, and in case you want or need additional information about the case, feel free to engage with non-academic literature, i.e. in order to gain a broader and more detailed understanding of the case study environment, you can mention and use information and facts from valid newspapers, magazines and/or official reports. Again, all sources must be properly referenced.
• Assignments strictly have to be within the word limit (- / + 10 %)
• Where cases of plagiarism are found, students will be sanctioned in accordance with university policy (see Blackboard for more information).
• All students will be required to submit their assessments via the ACC03043 SCU Blackboard learning site, utilising a Turnitin assignment link. Students will be able to amend and resubmit their assessment following a Turnitin review (ie. multiple submissions are allowed up until the due date).
A detailed marking rubric (i.e. marking criteria) will be made available on the ACC03043 Blackboard site (see Assessment Tasks and Submission).
END OF CASE STUDY
The post ACC03043 – Corporate Governance Assessment 2 – Case Study – Board architecture at Arcelor Mittal appeared first on Versed Writers.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.