Think back to the conversations you’ve had during the last week. Give an example of a deductive argument and an inductive argument that you or your interlocutor made. For each of these arguments, list the premises and the conclusion. Was the deductive argument valid? Was the inductive argument strong? Why or why not, exactly?
2. Determine the antecedent, consequent, necessary condition, and sufficient condition for the following claims:
a. If TyQuana scores a 95% on her final, then she will pass the course.
b. Foods are nutritious if they positively contribute to the overall diet of a person.
c. Water-saving measures are effective means for communities to deal with severe drought only if enough people participate in those measures.
3. We all want to be consistent in our thoughts — that is, we don’t want to contradict ourselves. That being said, we often don’t live up to this intellectual ideal. Give an example of a time you contradicted yourself. How did you resolve the contradiction? Specifically, which of the inconsistent beliefs did you give up?
4. Conditional claims are surprisingly tricky. Imagine that a coworker tells you, “If it’s raining, then I will bring an umbrella.” Now imagine you see that they brought an umbrella. Can you conclude that it’s raining? Why or why not?
5. Construct a counterexample to demonstrate that the following arguments are invalid. First, remove the material content and use variables to show the argument form, and second, substitute new material content into the form to show the counterexample.
All dogs are canines
No cats are dogs
No cats are canines
Has the form:
All M are P
No S are M
No S are P
Counterexample through substitution:
All dogs are mammals
No cats are dogs
No cats are mammals
a. If Tom is dead, then he was executed.
Tom was executed.
Tom is dead.
b. Some tools for computation are not solar powered.
All calculators are tools for computation.
Some calculators are not solar powered.
6. Determine whether the following two arguments are inductive or deductive, then explain why the argument is valid, invalid, strong, or weak.
7. In your opinion, why is it important to think carefully about critical thinking? Give an example of a time you could have used the ideas discussed this week in a conversation or argument.
The post Conditional claims are surprisingly tricky. Imagine that a coworker tells you, “If it’s raining, then I will bring an umbrella.” Now imagine you see that they brought an umbrella. Can you conclude that it’s raining? Why or why not? appeared first on Essay Lane.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.